Wednesday 15 April 2015

Dining at home

My host, Catherine, is teaching me lots of interesting things about mealtimes.

I forgot to mention Julia. She is a young student who is from Loyola University in Baltimore, USA. She is also staying chez Catherine from January to May as she is studying at one of the three Montpellier universities.

Mealtimes:
You do not eat the salad with the plat principal (main dish). You have it after, possibly with cheese. Rocquefort is one of the cheeses of this region, Languedoc-Roussillon. Rocquefort is a blue cheese and it is delicious. So Catherine breaks off some bread for us, we slice some rocquefort and dish up some salade. I go to use my knife - wrong move! You use the fork only and you eat the cheese and salad together. The salad has a beautiful homemade French dressing and oh la la, Catherine has introduced me to another French delight.
At the end of the meal, you leave your knife and fork, sideways across the top of the plate.

La Piscine:
Is two floors underground! There is a flash one above ground but it is currently closed so I am swimming two floors below ground. You have to take your shoes off before entering the changing rooms, and shower before getting in the pool! To use a locker, you put your 1 euro in and then it refunds it when you return. Rather nice of them!

Le cours:
I got the comment "Excellent travail :)" for my homework girls. I have homework every night. I find it funny being a student again. There is one young Swiss guy who acts cool! He doesn't listen at all and draws for the whole 3 hours. Today we learnt about job interviews (les entretiens), curriculum vitaes and France's economy. It is all in French so I am loving that. I have two teachers, Melanie and Stefan.

Bonsoir les filles,

Mme


le fromage Rocquefort 

No comments:

Post a Comment